Thursday, June 07, 2007

Sparkle Ginger Cookies

From VWaV. We wanted cookies and we looove ginger so hey, these sounded perfect!
And indeed they are. What a great holiday cookie these will make, but we'll take anything gingery and spicy any month of the year.

I did find that the dough was tntirely too sticky for handling and tested two methods of combating the sticky. First, and on the left, I used canola oil on my hands before rolling into little balls. On the right? I used flour.Not surprisingly, the canola cookies came out more dense, chewier, very decadent and rich-tasting. The floured hand version were more cookie like, puffed up more, had more structure and were less dense. I honestly don't know which I prefer more. the Cap'n chose the darker, denser ones, no big surprise there ;)





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is it I completely missed this recipe in VWAV? You know, my mom used to love crystallized ginger and when I was a child I thought it was so disgusting. You had posted about your beloved ginger many times and when you posted about your fav choc chip cookie recipe that you also threw ginger into I bought some and gave it a whirl. Well, now I'm hooked. I love crystallized ginger. I have a big bag in my pantry and I'm always sneaking tastes. For my mom's b-day this year I made my own crystallized ginger in a crockpot. It turned out quite delicious. In a blind taste test everyone preferred the homemade to the store bought. Unfortunately it's time consuming so I told my mom it's going to have to be kept to special occasions only.

theONLYtania said...

Pretty.. these cookies are great! That is actually really interesting how differently they came out. I'm intrigued.. thanks for sharing!

Judy said...

Those cookies look great, and you're right, perfect for holiday baking. I never would have thought to roll cookies in oil...are they crispier that way too? I love cripsy, almost burnt cookies.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

homemade crystallized ginger? crystal- *swoon*! now, that's a recipe i'd love to try out. i practically live for my monthly trips to town and the bulk bin at the health food store.

i really wanna learn to pickle it myself. i always say that if i had that to snack on whenever i want, i'd never eat anything bad for me. hehe

tania- those cookies are pretty darn fantastic. their textures were like night and day just for having coated my hands differently. so good either way!

judy- they oil version were not crispier at all. they were, in fact, dense and really super moist. that may change if you elect to bake them a couple minutes longer tho. i opted to take them out at the time designated in the original recipe.

Anonymous said...

looks so good!

Christine said...

wow, when I made these they came out pretty different looking, though more like the oil-hand-coating ones on the left. Mine were super flat and came out crunchy (though very tasty! my grad school class liked them too). I didn't think to do anything with flour - smart thinking! I think there was just too much molasses or oil in my batter for some reason. But aren't these super yummy?

laura k said...

Ginger + cookie = irresistible combination!