Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Leftovers, Revived...They're What's For Dinner!


Ever since making the Southwest Corn Pudding from V'con for the potluck, I've had some leftover ears of corn in the fridge. I'd boiled the few extra ears I had in the fridge and cut it off the cob, not knowing how I'd enjoy it, well, aside from just snacking right out of the container.
I stared at the contents of my refrigerator and was not hopeful. Broccoli, an onion, some more zucchini, the usual condiments, tofu. Nothing sparked my interest to go with the corn. Then I dug in the freezer. I waded thru the frozen fruit, the tempeh, the frozen veggies. I was about to give up and go for a stir fry with a side of corn. Then I found these patties from who knows when! Yay!
They're a southwestern themed patty basically made of rice, flour, gluten, black beans, onion, garlic, green pepper, and Emeril's Southwest Seasoning. I don't even know what it's really called but I know his mug is on the shaker and it has a Southwestern vibe. I remember throwing them together thinking that they'd not be spectacular but would be filling and use up some black beans I had been craving. Like most of my throw together patties I'm sure I baked them for about twenty minutes then quickly fried, i mean, sauteed them for about five per side. Turns out they were super tasty, but I'd totally forgotten there were a couple stashed in the freezer after I'd had my fill of them. (I tend to do that, love something and then eat it til I can eat it no longer). Out of the freezer they did great with a quick spray of olive oil a pan and five minutes per side to reheat. The corn also went in the pan the whole time getting nice and brown on the edges.
I wish I could share a formal recipe with you, maybe even more for my sake as that way there would BE a formal recipe, but alas there is not. There is just the above picture of two little glorious patties on a bed of and topped with pan seared corn and a bit of plain soy yogurt and some FYH cheese. I tried to get the cheese to melt by shredding and putting in the hot pan then scooping it onto the patties and it was almost successful, but just almost. The complete meal, however? Awesome!

3 comments:

nora said...

Love scrappy meals :)

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

I love throwing my leftovers together to create something easy and tasty! It's one of the best parts of cooking at home!

Aggie said...

I love this...my kind of meal!